Author Topic: Customer wins $10K judgment from Microsoft over unauthorized Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 6459 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Customer wins $10K judgment from Microsoft over unauthorized Windows 10 upgrade

Microsoft last month paid a California travel agent $10,000 after she won a judgment in small claims court by successfully arguing that an unauthorized upgrade to Windows 10 crippled her work PC

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3089071/microsoft-windows/customer-wins-10k-judgement-from-microsoft-over-unauthorized-windows-10-upgrade.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Offline Countryside

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
While money amount is trivial to Microsoft, what it means could be huge for them.  We have a local pharmacy whose computers upgraded to Win10 and now their software doesn't work right.

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
We upgraded our 1 PC to Win10. No problems to report, the door it holds open has not moved.

Offline Countryside

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
For the average person it's usually not an issue, but for companies that use proprietary software for their specific type of business it can be a major issue.  It's a two-sided issue...Microsoft is basically pushing the new OS on those who don't want it...and the makers of the proprietary software really could do a better job of keeping their product up to date.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
We upgraded our 1 PC to Win10. No problems to report, the door it holds open has not moved.

I didn't upgrade my old PC, but I did buy a new laptop with some of that Dan Wesson money - it came with Win 10. It runs fine.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
My work laptop is updated, but not my scanner laptop. The software won't run correctly, or so I'm told by the office.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Even if the Judge probably only really awarded that person their settlement because it pissed him off too, it sets a really, really dicey precedent for Microsoft. If they don't watch out, they'll be getting bombarded with class-action lawsuits from hundreds of people soon. :th_thicon_lol:

I got fed up with constantly having to go through the:

>Pop-up
>Upgrade Now/Later
>Choose Upgrade Time
>Reschedule or Cancel Upgrade
>Cancel Upgrade

Routine that I installed Linux again and have been using that almost exclusively for weeks now.

Ubuntu might be the largest and probably therefore slowest Linux distro currently out there, but it's miles better than even stock Windows, and what's more, it's been probably years since I've gone back to Ubuntu -- they've REALLY stepped up their game; I've booted up Windows maybe 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Maybe once this stupid free upgrade B.S. blows over, it'll be safe to go back for longer periods of time.

Online TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
A good reason to have a Mac, which can also run Windows 10 if you need to.

Offline michaele

• Dreams of Owning a Gunshop
    • View Profile
My work laptop is updated, but not my scanner laptop. The software won't run correctly, or so I'm told by the office.

GM sent us email saying do not update if you want to be able to program.  IT blocked it from even allowing us to do it when email came down.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
Yeah, the SPS software for GM and the IDS software for Ford were the main two that wouldn't work. They said the wiTech would though, so if I wanted to update that one drive I could. No thanks. Lol.

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........."