Author Topic: New Ruger 9mm PC Carbine  (Read 331 times)

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
New Ruger 9mm PC Carbine
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:35:43 PM »
I was looking at buying another surplus SKS and saw Classic Firearms had some surplus CHI COM Vietnam era for $299. This was going to be my last purchase with my C&R license before I let the license lapse.

The $299 quickly ballooned to over $400 with the assorted fees, shipping and tax. The photos from actual buyers were the deal breaker. Cracked and chipped stocks were the main complaints. I understand that military surplus will have some flaws but the ones I saw appeared to be worse than rack grade. Surprised that Classic posted them but they are a pretty stand up company that I have previously gone through to buy both new and C&R firearms with great results.

Ordered the Ruger PC last Thursday from Bud's for $499. Free shipping. Arrived at my LGS yesterday so I went down there, after a delay, this morning to pick it up. My LGS has adjusted their hours from 9-6 to 9-1. Employee with a clip board meets you in the parking lot & takes your name. Everyone waits until an employee is available and your name is called. Waited a little over a half hour but I knew there was going to wait so no big deal. Carbine comes with one Ruger 17 round SR 9 pistol magazine and has a interchangeable magazine well to accept Glock magazines. Rail on top and small rail at the bottom front end of the stock. It's a "take down" model so with the flip of a lever and a twist it breaks down into two pieces. Rated for +P ammo.

This was my last foray into the civilized world for the duration. My wife (the warden) and son have me on lockdown. The delay I refer to above was a gas leak about 100 yards down the road from me. Opened the garage this morning to find three fireman sitting under a tree next to my house. Back hoe with the construction crew installing the new sewer line ripped a good hole in the gas line. Road blocked so I wasn't going anywhere. Good wind this morning dissipated the gas so chances were minimal for an explosion.

This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline Txhillbilly

• Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
Re: New Ruger 9mm PC Carbine
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 09:13:54 PM »
If Ruger would make those in 40 S&W or 45 ACP I'd buy one. I just have zero use for anything in 9mm.

I really wish someone would make a PCC in 44 Auto Mag - 45 Win Mag - or 475 Wildey Mag. Those would be fun as hell carbines!

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
The .40 was announced last year and the .45 ACP is rumored to be just around the corner.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/ruger-announces-six-new-pc-carbine-models/
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:48:25 PM »
Comgrats o  the new carbine.   :thumbsdown: :thumbsup1:

Let us know how she runs,  :th_thicon_idea:

The 45 really interest me, as I already have a 9.

If those mags give you any trouble, , go with the glock mag version,.  The G17 mags are cheap, well built, everywhere, and easy to get. I dont own  a glock, but I read they ran in these carbines so I bought about 10 of them. Never had any issues. They run.

I dont have one,, but they also  got a 30 round stick, and a drum mag ,   if that's your thing.

I'll be watching for the 45 to be released. That would be quite the man stopper for a camp / self defense weapon.

I'm wondering how loud the 45 is ,,, because my 9mm carbine ie not much louder than a 22 lr. You could shoot it in the house no problem, and last night, I shot my 3rd coyote, with no ear plugs. I normally dont do that,, but coyotes dont like to stand around much.

That would be nice it a 45 carbine is fairly quiet.
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 02:12:35 AM »
Unfortunately no range time for me for at least six weeks maybe longer. Thanks to my brother, who passed away on his 60th birthday 4 years ago this June, I have some Glock magazines. Two with 32 round capacity.  Plan on ordering a couple of aftermarket 40 capacity mags soon. Saw the 50 round drum...hmmmmm. Let the price drop and will consider.

This is my second 9mm PC carbine. I have a 9mm CZ Evo Scorpion carbine but don't have a 9mm handgun. I gave my LEO son an CZ SP 01 Shadow a couple years ago. He carried it for awhile but returned to his HK 45 a few months ago. Doubt I can talk him out of that CZ though.

So DCD how's things going up there in Pa? This virus bug reminds me of the apocalyptic end of the civilized world books I use to read ten years ago. 

Toussaint Louverture

Offline Tango

• Military
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »
others may have had better luck but I had 2 of the (around, can't remember) 30 capacity Glock mags.....and neither one fed well  - didn't want to sell a bad product- so I gave and shipped 1 or both to a member here (for free)

my Wifes Beretta PCC stands nightstand duty (in rotation with others) - it's in 9mm - sorta wish I'd have gotten it in .40 or .45 - it, like most of my other firearms, doesn't get shot
Follow Me - Martin Baker Tie Club member
Si Vis pacem, para Bellum

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
Alte Schule, 

Things are going ok. But be careful what you ask for. 😆The grass is greening  up. The frost came out of the ground,, and the pitta out of staters with the Corona crud invaded mountains of northern central Pennsylvania.  😏

Self quarantine is nothing new at my house.

I been keeping my self busy painting inside the house, re doing some floors. 
Got plans on gutting two rooms upstairs and remodeling for ?  Well,, :thinker: dont know THE WHY,, do I need a why? , I guess cause it's never been done.

I been keeping busy popping coyotes for extra curricular activitys. For some reason,, they been hanging around my place the past month. And coming in close to the house at night. I've shot 3 in the past couple weeks. So I'm gittin a little target practice in.  :th_thicon_idea:

I been using my 9mm carbine for that. Flips them right over backwards into a pile. One jumped up and ran off. But he left a blood trail ray Charles could follow. Bright red , lots of it,, with bubbles.  :P  So I didnt pursue too far. No need to go wading out into high brush that is probably full of ticks.
He didnt go far. I seen some ravens and Turkey bussards circling that spot and landing on the ground there yesterday. The buffet is served.  :thumbsup1:
I found a nice 4 x 4 whitetail buck that apparently layed in behind my house during hunting season and died.  That's a common thing. They know they're safe here as i never shoot deer around the house.  Nothing but bones left. I grabbed the bare head/ rack.. might hang it in the barn with a few others I found.

Things finally warming up, greening up. Trees budding,, and lots of spring pollen floating around.

Today's plan is to put an ozone generator into the one room I intend to gut, and run that for about a hour to kill and bugs and bacteria in the walls. I already broke several holes in walls to let the stuff in. I will still wear a paint respirator for dust during demolition,,, but,,,,.

I might also  Let my 2 German shepherd males out of their big fence, an take  them for a walk to my farm pond for a swim. I have 3,,, mom n  dad, both age 5, and son, 3. They love swimming. The son thinks he is part duck, and swims 7 underwater.   :th_thicon_funny:

It's good to let people see and hear this place has it's own herd of rather large German shepherds. It must work,, cause nobody pisses around with anything on my property.  :th_thicon_funny:

Not much else new really going on. Other than The Corona crud, out of staters dragging the shit in here,  and panic buyers,  not much else new going on around here.  :

Regards,,,  Duane
Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

There are two kinds of people in the world my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. YOU DIG.  " Blondie".

Well, any man that wouldnt cheat at cards for a poke, dont want one bad enough. " Gus".

Offline DCD327

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Military.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 01:14:52 PM »
 :th_thicon_idea:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:53:14 PM by DCD327 »

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 06:38:50 PM »
Can't blame my boy for wanting to carry the HK 45. He bought it from a retired DPS sergeant many years ago. The sergeant had it tuned by whatever state approved gunsmith they use. I don't shoot large automatic's very well, never have, but this one is smooth smooth. 

I live inside the city limits by 100 yards. I have 100 plus acres of woods with a large creek just across the street. It's not a rural area but it's pretty isolated back here. I hear 'yotes spark off in the evening all the time. I see them every now and then but they are always a long way off. I do believe they are responsible for the decimation of the feral cat problem we had a few years ago.

Biggest pest I have are gd feral pigs. They will tear up a lawn quick. Have been tempted to shoot them with my .22 mag but those pesky city ordinances get in the way. Have been looking at suppressed .22 cal Gamo air rifles.  https://gamousa.com/product/swarm-fusion-10x-gen2-22-holiday-kit/    I think a head shot to a little squealer would work to bring home the bacon. The big boars are nasty foul tempered beasts. If they noticed a few juniors were missing they might ply their trade elsewhere. I imagine some of the country livin' forum members have a few stories about pigs.

I trained dogs when I was in the Army many years ago. Shepard's and Shepard mix. Have a 5 year old male Shepard now. He absolutely loves my wife and hates strangers. Just the way I like it.

What we need here for Corona is a long hot Texas summer. I mean sustained 100 degree heat like we had a few years ago. Had 90 degree days last week but we are back in the 70's this week. Broke out the lawnmower the last week of February. Have mowed once a week since then.

Toussaint Louverture

Offline Shield45

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 06:07:59 AM »
Cor inexpensive PCC fun cant beat a Hi Point (I-know I-know) however mine in close to 15 yrs has never malfunctioned short of a misfeed now and again. Scope on it makes it darn accurate. Mine is 40 and a buddy has a 45 version. For (when I got mine under $250) now under 400 they are a bargain.

My newest and favorite PC is my .357 cal Ruger bolt action model 77.

Enjoy the PCC fun and fairly inexpensive to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 12:10:48 PM »
I have had a CZ EVO Scorpion since '16 and have bought and sold two others. There was nothing wrong with the ones I sold. Just funding another project. I've got a Burris Fastfire red dot I'm thinking about putting on the new Ruger but may order one of the decent budget optics off Amazon. Have had good luck with a couple I bought through them in the past. Self quarantined so no range time for awhile.

I've looked at those Hi Point carbines for awhile now. Should have jumped on a .45 APC version when Bud's had them, with optic, for under $300.

Toussaint Louverture