Author Topic: 15 Fascinating Facts About The SR-71 Blackbird, The Fastest Plane On Earth  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
15 Fascinating Facts About The SR-71 Blackbird, The Fastest Plane On Earth

Over 4,000 missiles were fired at the Blackbird in the 25 years it was flown, but none ever hit it. The Blackbird was just too fast and its evasive tactic was just to speed up until the missile couldn’t keep up with it.

http://www.historyinorbit.com/15-fascinating-facts-about-the-sr-71-blackbird-the-fastest-plane-on-earth/?utm_source=ob-nt-2&utm_medium=HistoryInOrbit.com-Desktop-US-Blackbird&utm_content=home&utm_campaign=The%20Fastest%20Airplane%20Was%20Shot%20At%204%2C000%20Times%20By%20Missile%20But%20Was%20Never%20Hit%20Because%20The%20Missiles%20Were%20Too%20Slow!

Offline livingintx

• Hits the Target
    • View Profile
A declassified version of the flight manual is online.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/
"The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Neat info.

I worked for a retired 3 star that flew SR's. Lots of stories.  One of the more interesting was being over a "denied area", having a telephone pole sized "object" closing on you rapidly, hoping you had more fuel than it did.  You couldn't outrun it, you had to outlast it. (In deference to page six, you can look the missile speeds up, often twice the SR speed, but their range at altitude was ~100 km at best).

Another was that overflight of "some countries", even though they couldn't launch on you, was specifically prohibited for diplomatic reasons.  While close to the border of one of these countries while overflying a denied area, they had an "engine unstart" at an inopportune time which could have created a diplomatic fiasco.  It was difficult to fix, putting their lives at risk having to try and maneuver on 1 engine and avoid a sensitive area, and While also not dropping in altitude.

A final note was the airframe was certified to Mach 4.   The problem was the technology didn't exist to build engines that could go that fast long enough. 

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:55:28 AM by TXAZ »

shotgun

And now there is the TR-3 at 10 times the speed and altitude.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
As a kid, I always thought that the SR71 was the coolest :)

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
As a kid, I always thought that the SR71 was the coolest :)
And it still is (until my son gets his aircraft assignment) :)