Author Topic: "Feel of a gun?"  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
"Feel of a gun?"
« on: April 05, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »
OK, somewhat strange topic here - hope ya'll get what I mean...

I have several different makes and models of guns. We all practice dry firing and drawing from a holster.

Sometimes, I practice clearing my house - just to get a feel of how the gun feels in my hand - if I was to get up and investigate a sound at night... (a sound which may or may not really be anything - I've gotten up a few times over the years and had it be nothing ).

Or, I came home once and found a door open. I went in with my carry gun to check it out - I was 99% positive that my son/wife had left the back door open that 1 time, but I wanted to be sure no one was inside.... Ya never know...

Anyway - out of all my guns, I am only comfortable with a few in this type of scenario... I've tried with the rest of my handguns, and I'm just not as "comfortable" (for lack of a better word) as I am with 3 of my handguns... My main 92FS, my Brig 92 and my Hk P2000. If I knew there was a bad guy in my house, I'd want one of those 3 handguns - and no other. Sure, the rest do work, but this is my preference....

Am I the only one like this? Do you guys feel comfortable with ANY of your guns in such a scenario?

I don't mean that I don't trust the other guns to work. They all work 100% or I wouldn't even keep them. I just feel more comfortable with one of those 3 guns... Just the feel of them in my hand, either in a 1 handed or 2 handed grip... Also, with a small child in my house, I DO like that 1st shot in DA over something like a Glock... That's also part of it too. If I load my Glock and practice - I just feel a tiny bit uncomfortable... When people get startled, some have shot a gun off by accident...

Now, that's MY personal hangup, and not what this thread is about. But anyway - the point of this is... Am I the only one who ONLY would use 1 or a few of their guns for defense?

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Re: "Feel of a gun?"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
Probably more common than you might think.

I own several, but in your scenario,
I "feel comfortable" with my Beretta 96 Brigadier.
I have a Beretta 92 Brigadier, which arguably should "feel" the same,
but it does not, I prefer the 96.

ETA: Next in line would be a 1911.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:29:56 AM »
I feel most comfortable with what gun or style of gun I practice with most.
This is why my carry (M&P Shield 9 or Bodyguard 380) and primary home defense (M&P 9c) guns are very similar to the gun I use weekly (at least) in competition (M&P Pro 9).
All work exactly the same except for the Bodyguard which functions similarly enough. All also require the same safety measure of keeping the finger completely out of the trigger guard along the frame.
While some feel that this is not sufficiently safe, it is what I always practice and has been successful for me under semi-stress (competition) with lots of movement and transitions from target to target, reloads, manipulation of items other than the gun etc.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline TXAZ

• Shooting Pro
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
Similar feelings yes. A few thoughts:

The feel should be a natural extension of yourself, and shouldn't detract in any way to the matter at hand. 

Any weapon is better than no weapon, and operation should intuitive, well practiced and without hesitation. 

If the gun doesn't feel right then it's probably not the one you want to bet your / your family's life on. 

Having a shotgun, I caught 2 burglars in the act years ago.  I think I'd prefer that (with bird shot) over a handgun (but it doesn't fit in my special storage space) very well.   In a situation Ship described today, I would gladly take my Sigs, then Beretta M9A1 (92fs ) , S&W M&P, Walther et al, if the rubber meets the road again. 

Offline ray22

• 5 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 10:42:37 AM »
If a person feels secure in their ability then it doesn't matter what firearm they are holding. It's the whole reason why I don't own a lot of different guns. I stick to what works for me. I have one carry gun. One house gun. Outside of hunting guns everything else I own is simply because I wanted them and not that I depend on. I'm a big believer in the K.I.S.S. method of doing things.
Freedom Isn't Free, Someone Has To Pay.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:11:20 PM »
If all of my pistols were on my night stand and I had to check out my place I would pick up my 92FS without hesitation. I'm confident in any of them, but the 92 "feels" the best. 
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline NTxwheels

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:59:13 PM »
At 67 years old I've carried a 1911 for so long, I have the utmost complete faith in both it and myself.

Offline Vec

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:33 PM »
when the bump in the night happens I reach for the 870express 7shot it just feels right for me and points naturally with the 18" barrel

during the day its the Glock 21sf that is always within arms reach and fits my hand like my Nocona boots fit my feet
Luke 22:36 "and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:39:24 PM »
If a person feels secure in their ability then it doesn't matter what firearm they are holding. It's the whole reason why I don't own a lot of different guns. I stick to what works for me. I have one carry gun. One house gun. Outside of hunting guns everything else I own is simply because I wanted them and not that I depend on. I'm a big believer in the K.I.S.S. method of doing things.

This.

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 02:48:49 PM »
My shotgun would be absolute first choice.
If I had to use a pistol - 92fs. Followed closely by my GP100.
I can shoot both well, they both feel great in my hand. The Beretta just simply holds more rounds.
Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 03:36:48 PM »

This.

At one point, I had nothing but Beretta variants. But now, I like to collect different guns. Nothing wrong with that, IMHO. I just won't be grabbing some of them immediately, and prefer others....

Oh well, we can all have different opinions. That's why I asked the question  :th_thicon_idea:

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »
I do not understand this.
To me, the second sentence contradicts the first.

Perhaps I missed the OP's point.
But to me, the point had little to do with confidence in the weapon or ability, size of the bullet or how many rounds it holds,
but something else....
I can't think of another word either, other than "feel".

I own several pistols and rifles, I am confident I can hit what I am shooting at with any of them,
yet for HD, I gravitate to one almost exclusively.
It is NOT one that I take to the range more than the others.

Years ago, I had a friend who had a substantial collection. Several WWII weapons from around the world,
plus he owned a few machine guns, including an uzi, M3 grease gun, MP40 schmeisser.
He said he could lay out 20 weapons on a table, yet the first thing anyone ever picked up was the schmeisser.
He always felt people were just "drawn to it".
I suppose my 96 has that same attraction. 

or maybe I am just nuts.  :th_nuts:
and missed the point entirely.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »

I do not understand this.
To me, the second sentence contradicts the first.

Perhaps I missed the OP's point.
But to me, the point had little to do with confidence in the weapon or ability, size of the bullet or how many rounds it holds,
but something else....
I can't think of another word either, other than "feel".

I own several pistols and rifles, I am confident I can hit what I am shooting at with any of them,
yet for HD, I gravitate to one almost exclusively.
It is NOT one that I take to the range more than the others.

Years ago, I had a friend who had a substantial collection. Several WWII weapons from around the world,
plus he owned a few machine guns, including an uzi, M3 grease gun, MP40 schmeisser.
He said he could lay out 20 weapons on a table, yet the first thing anyone ever picked up was the schmeisser.
He always felt people were just "drawn to it".
I suppose my 96 has that same attraction. 

or maybe I am just nuts.  :th_nuts:
and missed the point entirely.

No, you got EXACTLY what I meant. I too can hit the target with any and all of my firearms. If I can't - I don't keep it.

You got EXACTLY what I meant, though... Which ones "feel" right for whatever reason. What is the one you would want if you knew there was a bad guy in the next room.

While I have numerous handguns, there are some I would want more than others... And, not because of caliber. Not because I shoot one better than the others... But, because there is something about a particular gun that just "feels" right.

Offline tx_oil

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:51 PM »
Muscle memory and ergonomics are what makes a gun 'feel right' to me anyway. For plinking or range practice, I'll grab the 92FS, the XDm or the CZ75. They all "feel" good and are a pleasure to shoot. If, however, it is a 'bump in the night' scenario, or a critical room clearing moment, I'll ALWAYS go for my Para 14-45. The 1911 manual of arms has become second nature. No conscious thought needed. There is just the fact that years of training with the 1911 have imprinted and the focus on threat assessment is near 100%, without distracting attention paid to the gun's operation.

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
First line of defense are my two Weimarners. I trained dogs in the military and although this breed is not naturally aggressive they are very protective. If someone where to come in my house w/o me or a family member present a 120 lbs. tag team would be the result. Dogs have been trained to alert me when a car pulls up in the drive way or if someone is walking up to the door.

That being said my go to guns in the bedroom are my Stoger Coach Gun with 00 or the LCR in .22 mag. My bedroom door faces my neighbors house so if I were to shoot in that direction I feel I need a balance of something my wife can use and decent penetration w/o over penetration. The .22 WMR is, IMHO, an underrated personal defense round.

I trade out, as my personal carry weapons, a S&W 442 .38 +P, a LCRX in .38+P and a Wlather PPKS. if I was coming from the outside one of those pistols would be in my hand and hopefully, whoever was in their, was incapacitated by the dogs and if not didn't find my Stoger. Time to dial 911.
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture

Offline TexanVeteran6113

• Supporting Member
  • Doesn't Run Downrange
  • Marine - Contractor - Entreprenuer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
First line of defense are my two Weimarners. I trained dogs in the military and although this breed is not naturally aggressive they are very protective. If someone where to come in my house w/o me or a family member present a 120 lbs. tag team would be the result. Dogs have been trained to alert me when a car pulls up in the drive way or if someone is walking up to the door.

That being said my go to guns in the bedroom are my Stoger Coach Gun with 00 or the LCR in .22 mag. My bedroom door faces my neighbors house so if I were to shoot in that direction I feel I need a balance of something my wife can use and decent penetration w/o over penetration. The .22 WMR is, IMHO, an underrated personal defense round.

I trade out, as my personal carry weapons, a S&W 442 .38 +P, a LCRX in .38+P and a Wlather PPKS. if I was coming from the outside one of those pistols would be in my hand and hopefully, whoever was in their, was incapacitated by the dogs and if not didn't find my Stoger. Time to dial 911.

Man I need to get a hold of you, I am looking to get a shepherd in the near future. And I do have experience with shepherds however I have never found anyone who would train them to be protection dogs for a decent price!
We're coming in hot to the LZ, door gunners clear the brush!

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 06:33:57 AM »
pfft dont matter to me...

me walking into my home.. :)

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »
Probably more common than you might think.
I may have to retract this statement.
or at least I reserve the right to retract.......
 :icon_redface:

Offline Alte Schule

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »
TexasVetran6113:

Sorry my man but but I had to stop training other people's dogs a few years back for a couple of reasons. One was liability issues. I had attempted to train a lab/Shepard mix about ten years ago that was very aggressive from the start and I could never get him to calm down. I gave him some basic obedience training and was done with it or so I thought. A couple of years later he went after a Brown suit delivery driver and I ended up being brought into a mediation hearing as a witness for the defendant. They settled but the defendant tried to get me to pay 25%. That plus I'm over sixty now, work 12 hour shifts 3-4 times a week and my off time is well MY off time and my hobbies and grandkids keep me busy.
Shepards are a naturally protective dog but it doesn't take much to bring out their aggressiveness if that's what you want. I'm an old school trainer that believes in the choke chain and short leash. I've been told that the military uses somewhat different methods now with good results. I'm sure you can find tutorials on line. Boarding with a good trainer is something you might consider though it can be costly.

Man I need to get a hold of you, I am looking to get a shepherd in the near future. And I do have experience with shepherds however I have never found anyone who would train them to be protection dogs for a decent price!
This gun is liberty; hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery.
Toussaint Louverture