Author Topic: Can you build your own suppressor in Texas?  (Read 8351 times)

Offline makenzie71

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
Can you build your own suppressor in Texas?
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
I have a lathe.  I have all the required tools.  I have the machining knowledge.  I want it registered (if required) and I want to apply for the tax stamp.  I just don't want to buy a $500~800 multi-cal suppressor when I can make one for $50 in materials and time.  I'm just unclear about whether this is allowed and what steps must be taken.  Like, if it is allowed, do I manufacture the suppressor and THEN register it/get the stamp?

Offline Tarosean

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • You can make excuses or you can make ready.
    • View Profile
Re: Can you build your own suppressor in Texas?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »
No...

you need an FFL 07 with a SOT Class 2.

Offline Ricochet

• Gun Show Attendee
  • Gun Shop Vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
You  can, but it gets a bit complicated with the ATF paperwork.  Its all done on a FORM 1, just don't start until you get all your paper work back from the ATF.  In my opinion, unless you are cracking out several of these, just buy your multi-cal can.  Weather you buy or build the stamp is $200.00

Offline Leaveammoforme

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:33:46 PM »
As stated above you would just complete and send in a Form 1. I would disagree that it is a difficult task though. Once you receive approval in your hand you can start building.

I have played with the idea of a Form 1 multi-caliber  suppressor but anything I could build to contain 65,000 PSI would weigh 4 lbs. I will do one at some point but have decided it will probably be a 22lr can.

I would love to see your results if you go forward with this.

Offline djfrostbyte

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:03:52 AM »
Is it really true that you can't even make it without the form 1 and tax stamp? It doesn't make sense to me that you have to pay a tax stamp on essentially an idea that may or may not.  Even work. The laws in this country are retarded sometimes.

PS. I mean no offense by the use of the word retarded.
Aim Small, Miss small... unless you're throwing a grenade

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:16 AM »
Our laws are so screwed up I'm amazed anybody every gets anything done.
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline manik

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
It's my understanding that you have to submit information on the can that you'd be building, length, diameter and caliber to be used on. I believe this has to be submitted with the info you'd be submitting for the stamp. I've done a bit of research on it and that seems to be the process.

Offline Ricochet

• Gun Show Attendee
  • Gun Shop Vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 04:45:52 PM »
You have to have your paperwork in order first.  Let say you build it first, then for some reason you are not approved you now have an illegal suppressor.  Remember you are dealing with the federal government, Its not suppose to make sense.  Its the same with SBR or SBS, you have to have the stamp before you can construct them.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:08 PM »
[. . . .] It doesn't make sense to me that you have to pay a tax stamp on essentially an idea that may or may not.  Even work. The laws in this country are retarded sometimes. [. . . .]

Believe it.

Never forget that the Government is filled with the shining beacons of intelligence who believe that, in order to solve the suicidal mass-murderer problem in gun-free areas, we should introducing MORE gun-free areas.

....Or that you should rely on a telephone and the police to save you instead of yourself and a gun, when the supreme court of the united states has already ruled that no police department anywhere in the U.S. is obligated to protect you from a common criminal.

....Or the ones that believe their weathermen -- the ones who can't accurately guess on Monday whether or not it'll rain on Friday -- are predicting that we're all going to die when the ice caps melt in 500 years.

....Or that a n00b senator that few people have ever heard of even in his home state, with no relevant experience leading large groups of people, and little more than skewed morals, a warped sense of idealism, and his 5% African American racial background to fall back on, should be fit to lead the entire country as President for 8 years.

....Or that Hillary Clinton is an innocent paragon of truth and virtue and hasn't been caught red-handed lying about being shot at, or destroying emails potentially containing incriminating information on illegally privately hosted web-servers.

....Or.... Well, I think you get the picture. "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers." -Unknown

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »

[. . . .] It doesn't make sense to me that you have to pay a tax stamp on essentially an idea that may or may not.  Even work. The laws in this country are retarded sometimes. [. . . .]

Believe it.

Never forget that the Government is filled with the shining beacons of intelligence who believe that, in order to solve the suicidal mass-murderer problem in gun-free areas, we should introducing MORE gun-free areas.

....Or that you should rely on a telephone and the police to save you instead of yourself and a gun, when the supreme court of the united states has already ruled that no police department anywhere in the U.S. is obligated to protect you from a common criminal.

....Or the ones that believe their weathermen -- the ones who can't accurately guess on Monday whether or not it'll rain on Friday -- are predicting that we're all going to die when the ice caps melt in 500 years.

....Or that a n00b senator that few people have ever heard of even in his home state, with no relevant experience leading large groups of people, and little more than skewed morals, a warped sense of idealism, and his 5% African American racial background to fall back on, should be fit to lead the entire country as President for 8 years.

....Or that Hillary Clinton is an innocent paragon of truth and virtue and hasn't been caught red-handed lying about being shot at, or destroying emails potentially containing incriminating information on illegally privately hosted web-servers.

....Or.... Well, I think you get the picture. "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers." -Unknown
Tells us how you really feel, Gil.
Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid!

Offline GOLFEY22

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 11:07:24 PM »
makenzie71   Do you still have the 715t flat top shell?

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:17 AM »
So if I submit the Form 1 today, I can build / buy how many, is it 1 per Form 1, or no limit?
How long is it good for?   No time limit?

Offline Ricochet

• Gun Show Attendee
  • Gun Shop Vulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 06:55:13 AM »
So if I submit the Form 1 today, I can build / buy how many, is it 1 per Form 1, or no limit?
How long is it good for?   No time limit?

You can not start your build until you receive the approved paperwork back from the ATF.  Right now the processing time is running 4 to 5 months.  Each approved form = 1 suppressor.  There is no time limit on your paper work, it is good until you sell.  BTW it's $200.00 per form 1.  You will still need a NFA trust or law enforcement sign off to turn in with your Form 1.

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
clamp a 2 liter bottle to the barrell
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline mreed911

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 09:32:05 PM »
clamp a 2 liter bottle to the barrell

Done in that manner, that two liter bottle becomes a felony unregistered silencer.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 10:48:12 PM »
I intrigued by the oil filter supressor: 
https://cadizgunworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_26_69

(Although I find it interesting you have to return the filter to Cadiz to replace it, unless you make it yourself.)