Author Topic: Hog hunting  (Read 7795 times)

Offline PapaG

• Can Pack a Range Bag
    • View Profile
Hog hunting
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
Well deer season is over... Big Brother and I saw hogs on our game camera at night durning  deer season at our  feeders. we thought about doing some hog hunting. we have not done this before at the family farm.

Do people hunt early morning and evening like deer? We hunt from stands or the barn for this. Different guns are not the big deal, just where to start hunting.We do not have any night optics.

I have hunted hogs from a jeep at night on 6000 acres. Some times I have had good luck there.
But we will be hunting a much smaller area. Do we search and find the wallow spots. There is a creak at the bottom of part of it, but it is a gully area.

What ya think?
"I am besieged by a thousand or more of the troups under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continued bombardment for twenty-four hours and have not lost a man. The enemy have demanded a surrender... otherwise the garrison is to be put to the sword if the place is taken. I have answered the summons with a cannon shot, and our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat." -- William B. Travis, Alamo

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Re: Hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:33:51 AM »
Feral Hogs are destructive and an invasive species here in Texas and will soon destroy your deer forage. It is not necessarily a good thing that they are in your area. (Note: Javelina, which are different, are another story altogether.)

If you intend to reduce their encroaching, it will be most efficient to use live traps, unless you actually decide to hunt them the good old fashioned way -- and for the love of god in heaven, do NOT attempt to stalk and/or retrieve your kill without being armed with something to finish them off -- either a shotgun or a pistol of intermediate caliber or higher that you're good with; they are extremely dangerous when wounded and cornered and can maim or possibly even kill.

I know it may not have been what you asked, but these are some thoughts to consider (unless you're already experienced with hog hunting; in that case, my apologies) -- the others will be along soon with more on-point hunting advice.

Good luck with the hunt!

Offline cbp210

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Hits the Target
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
Hogs are mainly a nocturnal animal and the use of traps is a good idea. I have had good success in the evening time and usually they are not far from river bottoms or areas with lots of cover and mud.

Offline Ron M.

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:25:25 PM »
Hogs are not that hard to kill nor are they exceptionally dangerous. Too many myths are pushed around about feral hogs. A finishing shot is rarely needed.  More people are hurt or killed by wounded deer every year than by feral hogs.  Just use a little sense and don't pursue a wounded animal in the dark. Any deer cartridge is fine for hogs, you don't need a 300 magnum, they're not armor plated. Late evening and night are best for shooting, baited traps are better if you're trying to destroy as many as you can. This time of year most of your shots will be as they move from one feeding area to another and at longer range. In the Spring and Summer a shotgun with slugs is a great way to hunt them. You will be able to stock and make closer shots.  The vast majority of hogs are less that 200 pounds and unless they're spooked will drop within 50 yards of where they're hit. Just make sure you look at where the vital areas are, lots of folks shoot too high or too far back. Break a shoulder or destroy the lungs and that hog will drop fast.

My preferred hog  ammo and bullet weights are a 165gr 308, 140gr 270Win, 225gr 35 Whelen, and my favorite for stocking and still hunting a 200gr 35 Remington.

Offline makenzie71

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:17:15 PM »
We do feral hogs with .223 regularly.  Place the shot properly and it's more than adequate.  I prefer a bow, though.  We put a feeder out and wait until the weekend.  Between the two of us we'll put 20~30 shafts out in a sitting.  With a bow you can hit and drop them and not spook the rest off.  Draw, aim, release, draw, aim, release, draw, aim, release...until you're out of arrows.

Offline SigsandBacon

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 10:37:26 PM »
You wanna hunt your hogs at night. They are most active at night. You wanna go to Elusive Wildlife and buy their feeder light, It magnets under the feeder and also has clips if your feeder isnt metal. I use it all the time and love it.
Snapchat: whiskeydivin
IG: whiskeydivin

Offline Lone Rider Leather

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
  • Too Damn Old to fight.............with fists
    • View Profile
    • LoneRider Leather
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
What if.......instead of hunting pigs we catch them fly them to Syria/Iraq and turn them loose!!!!
"Keep the Change Bob"
"You gonna' pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
"Buzzards gotta' eat, jus like worms"
"Dyin' ain't much of a Livin'"
Happy Trails

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
Hog hunting - Thread Necro
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 05:11:56 AM »
Here's a question for you gents. I participated recently in a thread about hog hunting on a board with non-shooters, and one of them argued that shooting a hog in the lungs will not in fact guarantee a kill.

What say you all, with actual hog hunting experience?

Offline JohnnyDollar

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 06:54:16 AM »
My BIL has hogs out at his deer lease.
They hunt them from the same places they hunt deer. I've been out with them a couple of times.

They check the times on their game cameras and there is a pattern to when the hogs come by the feeders each night.
They set-up about 30mins to an hour before.

My hog setup is an AR-15 with a red varmint light.

I picked up this varmint light kit at Academy, go them to pricematch Cabelas $99.99 sale price.  :icon_wink:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cyclops-vb250-varmint-light-kit#repChildCatid=1591551
It's a nice kit, comes with both red and green LED's so you can choose which one you prefer.

These are the best places to aim on a hog, the red spot is my nephews preferred aim spot.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »
Allow me to clarify: The original disagreement is not where it's most effective, to shoot them, but whether a lung shot will in fact kill the hog.

Quote from: Conundrum, via SpaceBattles.com
It is a rather high skill shot, the heart is pretty low and from a lot of angles very difficult if not impossible to get. The lungs are easier but naturally are not a guarantee for a kill and are not a guaranteed hit even.

I'm skeptical at this point that a .308 or a .270 will fail to kill a lung shot hog... Like Ron M. said, they're not armor plated.

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »
What if.......instead of hunting pigs we catch them fly them to New York City / San Francisco  and turn them loose!!!!

There Fixed it for ya!