Author Topic: Please reduce your power usage  (Read 1867 times)

Offline DoubleTap

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
Please reduce your power usage
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »
How many ya'll are going to start curbing your electric usage tonight so that I do not have to lose power....?

http://fuelfix.com/blog/2011/02/09/new-winter-electric-peak-expected-tonight-thursday-morning/

Freak'n incredible.....This has got the feel of a third world country.

wasar69

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »
not me i pay good money for that stuff
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:42:04 PM by admin »

wasar69

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
did my part installed flourscent light bulb in porch fixture yes im green now . Or is it from the first one i dropped and contaminated myself and yard with mercury ,good call

Offline cbunt1

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »
Follow the money. This isn't about power consumption. We don't use a significant amount more at 30* than we do at 35*.  

This is about the PUC having denied (or reduced) several rate increases that the power companies have requested, and gaining leverage to get them in the next attempt.

Besides...we didn't have rolling blackouts when it was 100+ and every a/c unit in the city was running full-blast....

See what a great thing regulation is? And even worse than a regulated business is the end result of deregulating a previously regulated business. I'm sure those of us old enough to remember "Ma Bell" before the divesture can relate...
With most things in life, it\'s not that you came up with the right answer but that you thought it through and asked the right question!

American by birth
Texan by the Grace of God!

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
Quote from: cbunt1;681

Besides...we didn't have rolling blackouts when it was 100+ and every a/c unit in the city was running full-blast....

Yep...

Offline thankGod

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »

You're correct, however our subdivision always has brownouts in the summer.

I agree that we pay for service, and we should receive that service.  

I also know that the state pays utility companies not to produce the power when we don't need it, and that the total generating power of the state has increased over the past decade.

However, it is not enough.  If it were, then we would not have the mandated rolling blackouts, or the brownouts, and we would have enough power to be redistributed should a plant go down.
thankGod
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: Please reduce your power usage
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »
A big part of the problem with the power capacity of Texas is that a lot of our power is sold off out of state.
I think it is ridiculous that we had to suffer intentional rolling blackouts this winter as paying customers just so that the power companies could sell some at a higher rate out of state.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony