Author Topic: Suggestions needed on "solving" a stray pit-bull problem.....  (Read 7905 times)

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
Allow me to begin by saying (unfortunately) we live in a heavily populated neighborhood subdivision within the limits of the city of SA.

Roughly 2 weeks ago I witnessed a neighborhood cat get mauled by a pair of Pit Bull dogs from my second story window. It happened across the street on the lawn belonging to some guy we know nothing about, and just a foot or so away from the other yard, belonging to our very good friend neighbors. Although our friend neighbors were in a frantic rush to get outside and help the cat to the point of outright recklessness (I assumed the cat belonged to them), I kept OUR house on lock-down until they were gone because of the lack of anything to be done, and the unnecessary danger going outside could put us in.

The dogs were finally chased away off, but not until my neighbor's baseball bat-wielding husband, an ex-Army veteran and consummate sportsman managed to catch up to his unarmed wife and teenage daughter (despite my call warning them to stay inside) and scare the pair off. Both he and I were in unanimous agreement that shooting the dogs would have brought the wrath of the legal system down upon us for illegally discharging a firearm within city limits, and potentially endangering the other neighbor, whose property the incident took place on by technicality. Furthermore, the cat did not belong to either party as I thought, but to a family a block up the street, meaning it couldn't be justified as defense of personal property anyway, and it ended up having to be given mercy anyway because of how badly mangled it was and the family was unreachable at the time.

A phone call to the police turned up a shoulder-shrugging officer who was equally annoyed as us, with his apparently legal inability to do anything. According to him, we have one animal control officer to cover the numerous incorporated cities on the NE side of the San Antonio metro area, with a population of over roughly 350,000 people. The times that Animal Control has shown up, the dogs have demonstrated the uncanny ability to roundly evade capture or even pursuit, even when assisted by my really pissed neighbor in her minivan and a grieving ex-cat-owner. The strays now have a confirmed kill count of 7 other neighborhood cats with a number of others being suspected, and at least 4 of the 7 were confirmed to be family pets and not just strays -- and in 3 cases, done right before the horrified owners themselves. They have returned to visit the scene of the first attack at least once (presumably to kill another cat) and have been seen wandering the neighborhood -- the 911 police officer said that on average, an animal control call will be investigated 3-4 days following when it was actually submitted. However, because of the number of people concerned with them (they're considered a general menace to everyone now), animal control has already visited the neighborhood twice while they were spotted, and been given the slip by these dogs.

We are unable to decide what to do next. Shooting the dogs can and probably will land us in hot water, unless we were to put ourselves in the incredible risk of a legitimate dog attack/self defense situation on our own property. Furthermore, this scenario means anything other than a very-high angle precision shot has the incredible potential to over-penetrate in a highly urbanized area, in defense or no. It looks like the next option for the time-being is going to be a hog trap baited with a chunk of meat, which our family is very skeptical about because of the potential it has of going awry, with all the other non-nuisance animals in our neighborhood. Anyone got any other suggestions?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
Re: Suggestions needed on "solving" a stray pit-bull problem.....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:38:12 AM »
I think all you can do is keep calling animal control when you see them. i'd also video tape them if you can as potential evidence. And, you CAn shoot them in self defense of yourself or others even if you are not on your property. If you use a handgun to do so, better have a CHL off your property to help cover your butt.

I was walking my son in a stroller when he was two or three, and a dog almost attacked us. He was foaming at the mouth at the time. He eventually had something else attract his interest right as I was about to pull my gun from my pocket. I waited as long as I could because I had a 3 year old with me (the noise of the shot), otherwise I would have shot him had I been alone.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
Sorry to hear that, I saw something similar as a kid.   These animals can be incredibly viscous. 
I'm not sure what the gun attitude is in SA, hopefully not left wing like Austin. 
Does SA allow fireworks?  That may make the pit feel unwelcome.

Offline Woodwalker

• 3 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »
Live trap.
Old,  ugly, rude, crude, politically incorrect and sociable unacceptable.

Offline TXAZ

• Gun Guru
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile

Offline challl80

• Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »
thats easier than bear mace, and a louisville slugger....neighbors will still look you in the eye after a live trap...
Chris

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

'Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas we call "walking"' - George W. Bush

Offline Ron M.

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • BANNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »
Live trap is the best way to go. Animal Control will usually loan them out and pick up the stray dog or cat. Get some Bear Guard or a Kimber pepper blaster as a deterrent until you can trap those dogs.

Ron M.

Offline Ironhorseromo

• Expert Shooter
  • How Bout Them CowBoys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:44:37 AM »
Choot em! Lol j/k
Life's tough. Life's tougher when you're stupid!

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
I'm a little hesitant to go outside with a firework since it may goad them into attacking. Their trap sounds like the way to go for now then -- now it's just a matter of waiting to see if/when the little bastards will return again.

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
To bad you are in a crowed neighborhood or you could go with the 3 S's, shoot ,shovel and shutup. :th_thicon_idea:
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:57:09 PM »
Funny, because that's the exact thing he said; they can't killing stuff and getting away with it forever; woe betide the owner if they ever figure out where the little monsters came from.

Online riattta

• Military
  • 15 Yard Shooter
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
Trap would be the best. IF you cant trap them maybe you can coral them in a Yard and call animal control to come get them.
Call the councilman for your area and the at large council members  tell them it is a public niusance.  Some bad press might get some action too.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
Corralling them in the yard is a very interesting suggestion, one that I'll be discussing with him soon now. Thanks for the input from you and everyone in the thread!

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 11:42:24 PM »
Update:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, but, as it turns out some neighbors helped Animal Control successfully wrangled the two Pit Bulls..... Then the owner of one of them happened upon this as it they were getting ready to load the dogs onto the truck, and spoke up in its defense and got it off the hook... Which ironically meant that he traded places with it; recon of his place of residence reveals no activity for quite a while -- with his address known and passed on to all the very angry neighbors in the area who lost a pet to his dog's antics, we suspect he bugged out and moved to beat the legal rap everybody was lining up to wallop him with, taking the dog with him.

As we've had no issues with dogs since, I think that solved the problem, although I feel for the people whose cats died and never got any recourse.

Offline Gilgondorin

• Concealed Carry Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 01:49:25 AM »
UPDATE:

Just kidding we didn't fix anything.... There are either 2 more stray pit bulls on the loose or the same two somehow came back, and this time attacked an old lady walking her dogs, bit a second guy, chased some school kids (the entire incident happened like a dozen houses down the row from my own, and our street is about 35 yards away from an elementary school), and tried to attack police when they showed up:

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2014/09/25/deputy-fire-shots-after-dogs-charge-at-him--bite-man.html

SAN ANTONIO - A Bexar County Sheriff’s deputy fired his weapon in a Northeast Bexar County neighborhood after two dogs reportedly went on the attack.

BCSO spokesman James Keith said the deputy was one of several who responded to a call after 8 a.m. Thursday about a pack of dogs attacking an elderly woman in the 7200 block of Sunlit Trail Drive.

They missed and hit somebody's house last I heard; there's going to be hell to pay on behalf of the owners if it turns out to be the same pit bulls from before. In response to the "They claim they called us before but we don't know what they're talking about" thing, I'll have to ask my neighbor for the card she received from the deputy who responded to the incident the day it happened. Their family were the ones we were working with to help corner them, and the old guy is actually my dad.

It was a trip opening the door to see a news van parked out front of the house yesterday morning. And all this after the incident at the bus stop/pawn shop on Tuesday. What a week! >.>

Offline Decoy71

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 03:18:29 AM »
I liked that lady's shirt. "I'm hiding from you."  :th_thicon_lol:

It is a shame that someone has to be attacked before dogs are determined to be a danger.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
Dang man.
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline sapper740

• Military
  • Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
Pit Bulls, the official dog of drug dealers and gang members.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a vicious dog running loose, no matter the breed and that's not simple bravado.  Unlike many people, I don't put animal's lives on par with humans.  Pests, no matter which species are put down with whatever means at hand.

Unfortunately, there are way too many ignorant owners on this planet. 
Irony:  Banned from TGT for speaking one's mind on a thread about the First Amendment.  HUH!?