Author Topic: The OFFICIAL flashlight thread!  (Read 84207 times)

Offline The Dangling Wrangler

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
The OFFICIAL flashlight thread!
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
Quote from: Mr Bill;4592
John, if you ever purchase a new flashlight with the Cree Q4 bulb trust me you will throw all your old Mag-Lites out. I saw at I think Gander Mountain the other day were now Mag-Lite has finally got on board with the new Cree bulbs, but of course Gander Mountain wanted my second born. :p

I did find a place in town that carries some parts. Cindy used to work there, a cop shop years back.

I ordered this    http://cgi.ebay.com/FUSION-36-LED-POWER-MODULE-2-6-C-D-Cell-MAGLITE-/110659762027?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19c3d5f76b  on Shipwrecks advice. Looks like it should be all I need. I think it has 400 lumens.

Offline Mr Bill

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »
Quote from: The Dangling Wrangler;4596
I did find a place in town that carries some parts. Cindy used to work there, a cop shop years back.

I ordered this    http://cgi.ebay.com/FUSION-36-LED-POWER-MODULE-2-6-C-D-Cell-MAGLITE-/110659762027?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19c3d5f76b  on Shipwrecks advice. Looks like it should be all I need. I think it has 400 lumens.

Wow! that's pretty cool, I have a two C-cell in perfect shape in my truck, but even with new batteries it might shine out on to my hood ornament.  :fun1 How long did Shipwreck say it took to get here from Hong Kong?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined or determined to commit crimes...
--Thomas Jefferson

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2011, 01:35:08 PM »
OK, the Fusion 36 was just delivered. Let's just say it's bright. I could recommend it to anybody that owns a Mag. I'd say, it's worth the 25 bucks. Makes the rechargeable look like a birthday candle.
 Took right at 14 days to deliver,not all that bad I'd say. I will be buying another one. Makes for a nice Christmas gift. I think.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
Very cool...

It takes 2-3 weeks typically...

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 02:56:38 PM »

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
U should shrink that down and make it your avatar :fun1:fun1

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
WOW! Just used that Fusion out walking the dogs. That baby is bright. Money well spent.
Now, I'm gonna get one for the 6 cell. Then, I'll have a weapon/light combo.

Shipwreck, whata ya got for a Streamlite Stinger rechargeable?
All I could find, was a single bulb upgrade. Any other options out there?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 09:54:03 PM »
Quote from: The Dangling Wrangler;6897
WOW! Just used that Fusion out walking the dogs. That baby is bright. Money well spent.
Now, I'm gonna get one for the 6 cell. Then, I'll have a weapon/light combo.

Shipwreck, whata ya got for a Streamlite Stinger rechargeable?
All I could find, was a single bulb upgrade. Any other options out there?

This is all I know, but I do not use stingers and do not know differences between the models. Not sure if this will work for you or not.

1/2 way down the page:

http://www.illuminationgear.com/242782.html

Terralux TLE-110S
The TerraLUX TLE-110S is a LED module with a single brightness level of up to 600 Emitter Lumens.
The TerraLUX LED module fits the Streamlight SL-20X (aluminum) flashlight only, and is a direct replacement for the stock 180 Lumen Halogen Incandescent Lamp.
1 year limited warranty through TerraLUX

- Model TLE-110S: Single Mode 600 lumens
- CREE MCE LED- Electronic Regulation maintains light output levels over battery runtime
- Extends Battery Runtime
- Approximate Run-time: Over 90 minutes on High (600 lumens)
- Saves Money-- stop replacing bulbs- 3x Brighter than Stock Halogen Incandescent Bulb

$39.99

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:58 PM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;6898
This is all I know, but I do not use stingers and do not know differences between the models. Not sure if this will work for you or not.

1/2 way down the page:

http://www.illuminationgear.com/242782.html

Terralux TLE-110S
The TerraLUX TLE-110S is a LED module with a single brightness level of up to 600 Emitter Lumens.
The TerraLUX LED module fits the Streamlight SL-20X (aluminum) flashlight only, and is a direct replacement for the stock 180 Lumen Halogen Incandescent Lamp.
1 year limited warranty through TerraLUX

- Model TLE-110S: Single Mode 600 lumens
- CREE MCE LED- Electronic Regulation maintains light output levels over battery runtime
- Extends Battery Runtime
- Approximate Run-time: Over 90 minutes on High (600 lumens)
- Saves Money-- stop replacing bulbs- 3x Brighter than Stock Halogen Incandescent Bulb

$39.99

I think that's the only one available. At least that's the only one I can find anyway. Thanks.

Did I say I'm impressed with the Fusion yet? Good find on that one.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 10:22:24 PM »
Very cool. Yes, it is a great drop in for the $

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2011, 07:42:31 PM »
Just got the newest word from Tod at IlluminationGear.com (he posted this at the Beretta Forum):

how about this to stir things up a bit:
EagleTac T20C2 MKII now has a XM-L T6 LED at 720 Lumen/580 ANSI.
The New XM-L LED 2.1amp Circuit delivers 4 levels of output - 720 Lumen TURBO "BOOST" for three minutes, then drops to 1.5a/550 Lumen standard TURBO - GENERAL Mode is 105 Lumen, and LOW is 12 Lumen. (Switching light off/on will reset TURBO Boost Mode)

EagleTac P20C2 MKII now has XP-G S2 LED option - without the green tint - at 500 Lumens/375 ANSI...
(with similar Turbo BOOST mode)

Damn, I just got the XM-L version at 550 lumens a little over a month ago. Now I want this newer version of the T20C2 MK II :fun1

Offline Pat-inCO

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2011, 06:01:31 PM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;9243
Damn, I just got the XM-L version at 550 lumens a little over a month ago. Now I want this newer version of the T20C2 MK II :fun1

PM me with an offer I can't refuse and you can go get ur new one.   :thumbs:
I\'m not afraid of terrorism, I was married, TWICE!  :scream:

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »
hahaha - actually, I ordered the LED module. The module itself is $28.99. I paid like $89 for the one I have 2 months ago. But, I'm just getting the drop in module and putting that in. I didn't see the point in buying a whole new lite for another $90 when I could buy the module and drop it in my 2 month old light for just $28.99.

But thanks for asking, though :)

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
I just discovered the world of flashlights recently (saw a couple of Nutnfancy's Youtube flashlight reviews and I think I'm hooked).  Anyone have any comments about the 4Sevens Quark 123 Turbo R5 Edition ($75 on their website)?  What I like about it is that it's the perfect size for me and offers a 0.2 lumens "Moonlight" as well as Strobe, Beacon and SOS modes.  Plus, it has 2 memory modes.

Shipwreck (or anyone else), do you know if leaving the CR123 batteries in a flashlight will drain them (while set to "off") like most flashlights sold at local stores (i.e. the cheap, crappy kind)?  Is battery drain (again, set to "off") dependent on the quality of the flashlight or the type of battery?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
There is some slight voltage exchange over time, but lithium batteries do not drain the same as alkaline.

BE sure to ONLY put 2 identical brands of 123s in the same flashlight - and do NOT mix and old and a new one. You could have an explosion and venting of gas, which is poisonous. Always put in 2 fresh ones at the same time.

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;9618
There is some slight voltage exchange over time, but lithium batteries do not drain the same as alkaline.

BE sure to ONLY put 2 identical brands of 123s in the same flashlight - and do NOT mix and old and a new one. You could have an explosion and venting of gas, which is poisonous. Always put in 2 fresh ones at the same time.

Hmm...so if I bought a CR123 flashlight to keep attached to my belt for EDC, should I make it a habit to take out the batteries when I get home at night or do you think it'll last a long enough of a time that I could keep them in there permanently?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »
No, you can keep them in there for a long time. The batteries themselves can last 10 years, but will admittedly loose an infintismal amount of power per year. Theoretically, if it sat there for 10 year, it might be at 90%, or something like that. I forget the actual decay rate.

I have left two 123 batteries in lights for years n the past...

I have been cautioned about two batteries sitting together too long - changing voltages... 1 increases and the other decreases. However, I have a battery tester for lithium and other batteries. I have tested a lot fo my sets, and have never seen this occur. I personally only use duracell, surefire or streamlight 123s. I do not go with the generic ones. Surefires are my fav. Youc an order in bulk, or even buy a set of 2 at Lowes for $499. That beats the price of $5.95 for one enegizer 123 at wal-mart.

I personally do not worry about letting the batteries sit, after testing them many times.

My T20C2 MK II sitting mounted on my PS90 has had the same light and batteries sitting on it since last May (2010).

Offline lightskye

• Single Stage Reloader
  • Not the face!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2011, 07:29:48 AM »
Much appreciated for the info!  I picked up a pack of 12 Surefire CR123 batteries (and yeah, I'll take your advice and won't go cheap, no-name brand on future purchases neither).

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2011, 08:58:07 AM »
Ok, cool...

As I was paying $5.95 for years for 1 battery, a 2 pack at Lowe's for $4.99 seems like a sale to me. I picked up a pack a week - as that seems easier for my wife to digest, instead of ordering a larger pack... Even if that is technically cheaper.

I have about 30 extra 123s. I keep them in special cases, which are water proof. And, I have a tiny sticker on each with the date I bought them on.

I now use rechargable lithium ion batteries in my 4 or 5 heaviest use lights. So, honestly, I hardly need to replace my primaries. Now I can use the lights guilt free.

Technically, the single, larger rechargables are safer than the primaries - EXCEPT that you have to pay attention to the charger. As soon as they are done charging, you MUST take them off. Otherwise, they will continue to trickle charge, and you could have a problem if it stays on the charger for several hours after a full charge.

I put off the rechargable thing for almost a year after I found out about them - but I eventually ponied up the $20 for the charger, and the $10 for each battery. The 18650 and 17670 rechargables are like 2 primary 123s stacked up on top of each other. So, you just need one for each light.

Offline Pat-inCO

• Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2011, 10:48:12 AM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;9660
I put off the rechargable thing for almost a year after I found out about them - but I eventually ponied up the $20 for the charger, and the $10 for each battery. The 18650 and 17670 rechargables are like 2 primary 123s stacked up on top of each other. So, you just need one for each light.

DO remember the difference in voltages. Some of the 2x123s (PT-2L as a specific example) will have the warranty voided if you run the 18650s. At least per the Streamlight representative.  ;)
I\'m not afraid of terrorism, I was married, TWICE!  :scream: