Author Topic: The OFFICIAL flashlight thread!  (Read 83897 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
The OFFICIAL flashlight thread!
« on: February 08, 2011, 07:40:18 PM »
Any other Flashlight nuts here?

I have 21 or 22 lights (I've lost track). It all started when I was looking for a nice light to mount on a rifle early in 2009. I found the Candle Power Forum online, and I got hooked. 1 after another :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:56:49 PM by Shipwreck »

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:11 PM »
My everyday carry is either an Eagletac P20C2 MK II or a LumaPower Trust 2. I usually keep a light on me all the time now, and it really is surprising how many times in a week I end up using it...

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »
my favorite flashlight of all time is the surefire hellfire. comes with a mount for the m2 .50 cal machine gun. its like being INSIDE the sun when its pointed at you, all you can really do is turn around.

i think they changed the name to hellfighter.

we used them in iraq on our lead trucks... strobing it would send people off the road.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
Well, my brightest is my Eagletac M2XC4 - 800 lumens, with a nice mixture of flood and throw.

I have an Eagletac T20C2 Mk II on my Ps90 in the pic above. 300 actual OTF lumens (400 lumens at the emitter level).

be aware that many of the cheaper lights WAY over estimate the actual output. all those cheap Costco lights and what not don't put out near what they claim to.

Offline TheMagicMan

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Ive been lurking on the candlepower forums for a long time. Some of the stuff those guys do blows my mind.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »
Yes, its pretty wild.
I really want an Olight Sr90 - 2200 lumens... But, I don't feel like spending $400 on one. I really have no use for i either, other than it being cool. My 800 lumen light does all I would want.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
I just ordered another Eagletac T20C2 MK II this morning, but with the newest LED drop in...

Flashlight collecting... It's a disease :)

Offline CougarTex

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Beretta Twins Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:31:04 AM »
While not a flashlight nut, I have 4 Coast LED Lenser V2 lights.
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :icon_wink:

"You need to have one of everything.
That's the only way you'll know what you need two of."

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
Well, I never intended to be. But, I seem to be a "collector." I do it with guns, and have done it with other hobbies in the past. It just sorta took off on its own.

I'll say that with the rolling blackouts last week - they sure as hell came in handy. No electricty when getting ready for work at 6am sucks. But, I tail standed a 300 lumen light in my bathroom, and another for my wife in hers, and we could see just fine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:44:09 PM by Shipwreck »

scap99

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »
You, sir, have an illness...

I'm hesitant to say I am in the market for a light now...I can't afford to collect anything else.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 05:24:01 PM »
I got my new Eagletac T20C2 MK II with the new XM-L LED module that just came out in the past 2 weeks or so. 550 lumens at the emitter - over 400 actual out the front lumens. Cool light.

Now I have 3 that I rotate between to use on a daily basis :)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
I've been playing more with this new XM-L version of the Eagletac T20. AWESOME light. ALl I have been using lately. About the brightest thing you can get in this size package...

Offline cody_rules

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
in your opinion whats the best bang for the buck for a flashlight that will work on a 1 inch mount

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
Quote from: cody_rules;1958
in your opinion whats the best bang for the buck for a flashlight that will work on a 1 inch mount

Well, that's easy, and let me tell ya why...

The Eagletac T20C2 Mk II. I have used a few different lights over the past few years (on rifles), and this one is the best, IMHO... I have one on my PS90 right now.

I use 1 inch scope rings to mount it. Here is a pic:

The real issue is always lumens versus battery life. If ya have something that can really crank it up, then you usually only get 1.5-2 hours out of the batteries. But, I like to have a light that can make it all night, if I had to in an emergency.

There are two models of the T20C2 Mk II... The first model puts out an actual 300 out the front lumens (400 at the emitter level) on turbo. It has what is called an "R5" LED, and I have the "Cool" version to put out the most light in lumens. It costs $84.99, and it puts out a hell of a lot of light. Throws pretty far too. The 300 lumens will last 1.7 hours on turbo. But, what is cool is that it has a medium setting - 60 lumens. This is plenty for indoor useage to go through room by room. The battery will last 13 hours at that setting.

That fullfills my requirement of having a light last an entire nights time in an emergency.

Now, there is a brand new version of the T20C2 MK II with an XM-L LED emitter (instead of the R5). I got it in about a week ago. It puts out 550 lumens at the emitter level. Actual out the front lumens is around 425 or so (you loose 20-22% of the lumens when it gets guided out the front thru the reflector). You get more brightness, but about 15% less throw than the R5 version.

The XM-L version is the brightest light I have seen in this size class with current technology. I have a pic of it above, and I am using it as a pocket carry light right now. I am very impressed with it.

However, I still keep the R5 version on my rifle, as I would rather have a little more throw for a light mounted on my rifle.

You would have to decide which was youw ant to go... More throw, or a little brighter with more flood and just a tad less throw.

The R5 version is $84.99, the new XM-L version is $5 more.

I'd recommend ordering form here if you do want one:

http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/26992.html

I've made about a dozen orders from this guy for various things, and he always ships out ASAP, and I have never had any problems...

Just my 2 cents...

There is an Option for a Solarforce light for approx $30, if you are on a budget. I can tell you which model to get with which LED module, if budget is an issue. And, the light isn't bad. But it'll be a single mode with about 2 hours max.

The Eagletac T20C2 MK II will put out more light, will out throw that and will last longer if you can swing the $80 bucks plus...

Offline The Dangling Wrangler

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »
Quote from: TheMagicMan;565
Ive been lurking on the candlepower forums for a long time. Some of the stuff those guys do blows my mind.

Last few times I tried to visit, nothing was there.
When's the last time you were there?

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:23 AM »
Quote from: The Dangling Wrangler;1981
Last few times I tried to visit, nothing was there.
When's the last time you were there?

Last night :)

Try it :)  http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;1982
Last night :)

Try it :)  http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

Thanks. I swear I tried getting on for a week, and couldn't do it.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »
Quote from: The Dangling Wrangler;1983
Anybody tried one of these yet? I'm half way thinking about getting one.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-module-for-36-dcell-to-fit-maglite-p-1.html?zenid=retaftr51mte7v7jiqecn7bov5

I hear really good things about them, but they have been sold out forever. It doesn't appear that you can order them on back order, and I have seen some debate as to whether they will make anymore or not.

I would get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FUSION-36-LED-POWER-MODULE-2-6-C-D-Cell-MAGLITE-/110652543621?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19c367d285#ht_5424wt_698

I have 1, and it is really awesome. Just replace the entire reflector and bulb in a non LED maglight, and it will last for hours. I have one and I used it on Halloween night with my son. IT doesn't throw super far, but it is super flood. Damn bright. There is a thread on Candle Power Forum about it. I decided to take a chance after so many people were raving about it. It ships from Hong Kong, but it's only $25 shipped. It REALLY is worth it. I've talked a couple of people into getting one, and they are super happy.

Here is the thread about it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=277748

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
Quote from: Shipwreck;1985
I hear really good things about them, but they have been sold out forever. It doesn't appear that you can order them on back order, and I have seen some debate as to whether they will make anymore or not.

I would get this: http://cgi.ebay.com/FUSION-36-LED-POWER-MODULE-2-6-C-D-Cell-MAGLITE-/110652543621?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19c367d285#ht_5424wt_698

I have 1, and it is really awesome. Just replace the entire reflector and bulb in a non LED maglight, and it will last for hours. I have one and I used it on Halloween night with my son. IT doesn't throw super far, but it is super flood. Damn bright. There is a thread on Candle Power Forum about it. I decided to take a chance after so many people were raving about it. It ships from Hong Kong, but it's only $25 shipped. It REALLY is worth it. I've talked a couple of people into getting one, and they are super happy.

Here is the thread about it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=277748

Thank You Sir. I think that would be a good deal.