Author Topic: How to travel with guns on an airline for beginners  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
How to travel with guns on an airline for beginners
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
How to travel with guns on an airline for beginners

I spent a lot of time on the road. Last year, I logged over 90 nights in hotels, over 50,000 air miles, and racked up rental car points like a pro. I had a request from a reader to put up a post talking about traveling with guns, so here is our best attempt. Please note that any interpretations of laws are not legal advice, because Im not a lawyer.

http://www.gunnuts.net/2014/01/20/how-to-travel-with-guns-on-an-airline-for-beginners/

Offline Geoman

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
Re: How to travel with guns on an airline for beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
I have flown with a pistol 4 times now without a hitch.  Just follow the rules and it works.  See the TSA guidelines and make sure the weapon is unloaded, in an approved case with a key or combination lock, and ammo in a separate box.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline Geoman

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
Also, there's an iPhone app with a summary of each state's requirements; Legal Heat.  It gives the states with reciprocity with Texas.  YMMV

Don't go to NY, CA, NJ, DC fr sure.  Most other libtard states as well.  YMMV  Do your research before carrying outside Texas as each state has peculiarities.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Offline challl80

• Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:07:08 PM »
Chris

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

'Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas we call "walking"' - George W. Bush

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
I've flown with rifles a few times without issue. Just give yourself extra time, it will take longer to check in.
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »
I guess I am just paranoid. I have never tried it... I just figured there is too good of a chance it might get stolen...

Offline Lrdplatypus

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • I'm the Lord of the Platypi. Seriously.
    • View Profile
    • The Platypus Manifesto
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »
I guess I am just paranoid. I have never tried it... I just figured there is too good of a chance it might get stolen...

Once you declare a firearm with the airline, the airline wants really really really badly not to lose it!  :th_thicon_lol:
I have a few guns.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt

"...for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day." II Timothy 1:12

Offline Southpaw

• Can Pack a Range Bag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:07:29 AM »

That was my concern when I did as well.  On top of that I had to change plans twice  :sick2:
One change was in Chicago  :afraid4:
and my final destination was New Jersey!!! :th_thicon_cry:

I didn't have any issues but this was back in early 2000's.  I'm not sure I would fly into NJ or Chicago now carrying anything.   

Offline Mongo

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 10:09:42 PM »
When I flew from Portland Oregon to San Antonio, they were nervous in Portland. When I flew back, it went smooth.
Second generation NRA Life Member

Offline TXAZ

• Uses a Bullet For a Toothbrush
  • أنا لست إرهابياً
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 10:27:24 PM »
Good info Shipwreck, thanks. 
One other data point:  If you're traveling with an "evil gun", like an AK or AR or sniper rifle, DON'T tell the gate agent it's an AK or AR etc.  Just tell them it's a ".30 /.223 cal rifle"  It may save you significant headaches. 

Offline Dreconem

• 7 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 12:53:06 PM »
I'm actually flying into Detroit tonight and I'm really not happy about not having my EDC with me. That being said it was a short notice thing and I haven't geared up yet with the requisite "hard case and non TSA lock" required. :bangheadonwall:
Yo momma jokes are totally wasted on siblings...

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
When I went up to Philly last month, I missed having my gun. Philly is a rough place