Author Topic: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Deplorable Killjoy
  • 1-24-17 was LEGENDARY
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers
« on: November 25, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers

"His story's believable, but even a GPS has to be hands-free," Howell said.

Pecchia said afterward: "I can't look at a map? What's the difference between looking at a paper map and looking at a map on the phone?"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TEXTING_CRACKDOWN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-11-25-02-27-07

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
Re: NY troopers in big SUVs peer in on texting drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
Ear buds?  You can only have one ear bud in?????????  WTF??????????????  Is there a test for dumb ass?  I think that's 10x more dangerous than texting, GPS-ing, or listening with ear buds in your ears while driving.  A case of the stupid is WAY more dangerous. 

My radio is louder than ear buds could possibly be, what's the difference????  When I was a teen a hot chick in the truck with me was WAY more distracting than holding a cell phone to my ear.  So can we start pulling people over and making the chick get in the back if she's above.............say..............a 7 on the HOT-o-meter? 
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
Ear buds?  You can only have one ear bud in?????????  WTF??????????????  Is there a test for dumb ass?  I think that's 10x more dangerous than texting, GPS-ing, or listening with ear buds in your ears while driving.  A case of the stupid is WAY more dangerous. 

My radio is louder than ear buds could possibly be, what's the difference????  When I was a teen a hot chick in the truck with me was WAY more distracting than holding a cell phone to my ear.  So can we start pulling people over and making the chick get in the back if she's above.............say..............a 7 on the HOT-o-meter?

Jeb,

I'm here to admit that I can't even walk properly listening to ear buds - the only way I can keep my balance is to do my Soul Train Dance Line moves.  Maybe I damaged my inner ear as a swimmer or something, but ... as long as I've been driving, I kill the stereo and likely roll down windows when the situation calls for extra attention.  I get a lot of information from sound while driving (or walking).  As an example, most of my speeding tickets have occurred while I was booming my stereo.  And earbuds block out the ambient sound more than an extremely loud stereo.  Now ... I started driving in the NE and I can tell you that since the days of the Mura Highstepper (pre Sony Walkman), driving with headphones/earbuds will get you cited in MD/DC/VA/DE/PA/NJ/NY (my formative stomping grounds).  If it isn't illegal in TX, I'm guilty of a large number of nasty looks at drivers and bikers who have offended me by wearing earbuds while driving.  My basic expectation is:  if I can't do it, nobody can (I do recognize the fault and I'm talking about ability versus legal rights).

All that said, I can't talk on a phone while driving either.  I can navigate the expected just fine - it's the unexpected that'll overwhelm me on the phone.  I'm probaby biased because the biker in me ALWAYS expects the unexpected - unless I'm wearing earbuds or talking on the phone.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Never Misses The Target
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 12:11:38 PM »
Soooo, maybe deaf people shouldn't be allowed to have a driver's license??????????????  Why is a hearing test not part of the driver's exam?  Because............it's irrelevant.  What I'm listening to (or how loudly) doesn't affect my attention span or abilities to operate my vehicle.  Sure some people are probably different, but that's also irrelevant.  Just seems like more nanny state BS than anything else.  I'm also strongly against adult's being forced to wear seat belts, although I don't even start my truck unless mine is clicked in.  I even pull mine tight after buckling it.  I like the feeling of being strapped to the truck (might be why I feel so uneasy on a bike.) 

On cell phones and gps and such, I think it's getting a little crazy.  No, you shouldn't text and drive.  But if all your doing is worrying about a hand not on the wheel and your attention elsewhere, radios shouldn't have knobs on them.  Or displays.  A/C controls shouldn't either.  The problem isn't phones or GPS devices, the problem is people.  Hard to outlaw people. 
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline challl80

• Ammunition Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »
Problem? Yes.  Regulate it? Not a chance
Chris

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

'Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas we call "walking"' - George W. Bush

Offline dred

• Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
The problem isn't phones or GPS devices, the problem is people.  Hard to outlaw people.

Agreed.